A baby in the making

We recently discovered that we are parents-to-be. We wanted to blog the entire pregnancy experience until the birth. We hope you enjoy reading our experiences all of it and share some of yours.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I am actually wanting this blog to be helpful to all my pregnant sisters out here in Urban India, so with a little bit of research I found this site - Our Bodies, Our Selves. The site is coming up with a book on Pregnancy and Child Care. They've posed a few questions to their US resident readers. But I thought I'll take up the questions and try to answer then in an Indian context.

The book will include information on:


how to choose a practitioner and a place for your birth
taking care of yourself during pregnancy
preparing for labor
strategies for successful breastfeeding
the history and politics of childbirth in India
the reasons behind the skyrocketing rates of caesarean sections
how cultural differences affect our birth experiences
what it means to become a mother

So in sequence I am going to try and answer one questions each day, based on my personal experience:

- how to choose a practitioner and a place for your birth:

Now in India, Doulas and Mid-wives aren't really accessible. We just have to trust our "gynees" yaar . When was the first trip you made to your gyne, at 14 for mesturation cramps or at 21 for extra bleeding. Well the reason why I am saying this is because our gynees are also our obstetricians for most of us. I however visited my gynee for the first month, but left because I found the Military Hospital ( MH) closer to home, fulfilling my needs.

Yes we do use recommendations of friends, aunties and all who care about our pregnancy.

I recommend:

1. When you start to visit your obstetrician make sure he/she is someone your comfortable with. Curt replies are fine, but you need to know what is going on inside of you. Ask for reasons why you puke? why you have the nausea?

It is normal is answer, but ask. Be stubborn and ask.

2. Try and get a practitioner close to home, for all emergencies, for support we need them near us. In Urban India, I am sure every street has some maternity wing. If you trust and go to a practitioner far away from home, just keep in touch with a hospital close to home for extreme emergencies. Keep telephone nos within reach.

3. Now once more in India, I think cultures vary with regards to the birth place. Some girls go away to their Mom's place and some remain at their own homes with husband and mother-in-law, mother support. My piece of advice is forget the culture, where are you comfortable is where you must have the birth place. And if your levaing town to go to another birth place, take all pregnancy reports and scans with you. Doctors need to get clued in on your pregnancy.

4. Don't be afraid of your birthplace, for eg: when ever I go to the MH for my check ups I necessarily have to pass the Labour Ward, the place scares me. I feel myself tighten up already.So if possible familiarize yourself with the place your going to have the baby.

5. Your birthplace, which in most of our cases would be maternity hospitals is to check how they have handled deliveries. Again experiences vary, so if this is not what you want forget it. We have alternatives.

6. I know bringing our babies into this world is a wonderful experience, we'll do anything to make ourselves and the baby safe and welcome. So money for the bachcha is no problem. But be wise, if it is a normal pregnancy go to a hospital which is cost-effective and has good post-delivery facilities. Only emergencies warrant extra money. Then again it is your choice.

7. Make friends with the Dais (Midwife) at your doctors and at the hospital. I am sure it will provide us with relief to see a familiar face during the birthing process. Also some of then have grandmas's wisdom.

8. Choose a practitioner who will explain medically your condition to your spouse.

These are just my thoughts just 4 months into pregnancy, but I am sure you could add some more. Hope they are helpful

Love,

Cecilia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home